ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving Products

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeckhamDigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving Products
    Posted: 11-January-2009 at 6:58pm
I wonder if anyone can help me with this issue.

Some time ago I created 31 categories to sell copyright free music. Each of these categories split into three other categories.

1. Buy the album on CD
2. Buy the album as a download
3. Buy individual tracks

Now I realise I structured this in a bit of a ham fisted way and have since changed the category products for the No 1 and 2 options above.

However, I have about 10-12 products (tracks on each album) in each of the categories in option 3.

Is there away I can assign those individual tracks/products to a new category quicky and easily? The only way I can see is visit each product in turn and re-assign the category as I did with the other two options, but we are talking here of 350 products.

Any Ideas would be most welcome
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2009 at 7:18pm
This is simple to do.  I have had to do it myself.  First , you would set up the new category. Once that is setup, you can go to manage categories and click products.  It will say you have no products assigned to this category.  Click "Add new" products to this category...which will give you the find products searches, select the old category and you will get a list of the products in the category you are trying to get rid of .  You can check all or whatever you need.  If the products are spread across a bunch of categories, use the search feature like SKU or keywords to narrow down the list of products you need to assign to the new category.
Enjoy!
Curt
BeckhamDigital View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeckhamDigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2009 at 7:57pm
Blimey, things are easy when you know how, I thank you for that tip and it is working OK.

Presumably once I have done all my 31 albums I can delete the old categories?

Barry
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2009 at 8:18pm
Yes, after you delete the products from the old categories, [which is essentially done the same way: go to manage categories, select the "subcategories", then select "products", and the ones you see should be all the products assigned to that subcategory.  Check all products, then remove checked.]  You can then go back and remove the old categories from the main manage categories area.  If you are using the productcart to create the category links on the home page, you will need to regenerate those as well, also under the Manage Categories.
Curt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeckhamDigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2009 at 8:19pm
I have now got all my products into my new catergory and the products are showing correctly and I can add the category discount that I want, but

The products are still showing in the old category too, can I now delete them from the original old category, leaving them in the new?

Barry

avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2009 at 8:23pm
Yes, see above
Curt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeckhamDigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2009 at 12:48am
Avalight

Many thanks for your guidance, I was a bit worried that when I deleted the original product and the categories that somehow I would delete was I wanted to keep, but you were spot on.

Thanks for holding my hand Smile

My expertise is Photography and Adobe Photoshop and some of this web stuff takes me well away from my comfort zone.

Thanks again

www.beckhamdigital.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic