ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Redirect Loop error with SEO files and IIS 7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BYRSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Redirect Loop error with SEO files and IIS 7
    Posted: 12-May-2009 at 3:09pm
I have installed the SEO files on one of my sites and I am getting the following Redirect Loop Error:

Redirect Loop

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

The browser has stopped trying to retrieve the requested item. The site is redirecting the request in a way that will never complete.

* Have you disabled or blocked cookies required by this site?
* NOTE: If accepting the site's cookies does not resolve the problem, it is likely a server configuration issue and not your computer.

I can get the custom 404 error page to work if I direct the link to the 404 error page I created, but when I try to forward the custom error page to the 404.asp in productcart for the SEO files, I get the above error.  I contacted Tech services with the people hosting this site and they said that the IIS7 is unable to process it and that's why I keep getting the error.  I have another site with this hosting company which the SEO files work fine on but they said that's because it uses IIS6. 

Has anyone heard or encountered this? 

ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 2:54am
This is not a known issue. We have tested the SEO files with IIS 7. However, IIS 7 must be configured to support custom error messages.

Specifically:

- Open IIS 7
- Go to the Web site that you wish to edit
- Click on "Error Pages"
- Click on "Feature Settings" and select "Custom Error Pages" as shown below.

Now select the 404 error and click on Edit. Here is what the window that defines the custom error page should look like (here the "productcart" folder is in the root and renamed "mystore").

Edited by earlyimp - 13-May-2009 at 2:55am
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
BYRSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BYRSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 8:20am
I have to use a Plesk control panel to make changes, and I have made this change.  I checked to make sure that the redirect would work by directly linking the custom 404 error page I made in the root directory and it worked just fine, but it just does not work when I point it to products/pc/404.asp like instructed.  I have been able to get it to work with two other sites, but I don't know what the hang up is on this one.
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 9:26am
Originally posted by BYRSC BYRSC wrote:

I checked to make sure that the redirect would work by directly linking the custom 404 error page I made in the root directory and it worked just fine

That may be an insufficient test.  The 404 page may render, but there is an important distinction between "file path" and "URL".  If Plesk sets the 404 as a file path, the page may appear to work just fine, but it won't work for the SEO mod.

For example, IX web hosting's CP sets the 404 as a file path and the SEO mod WILL NOT WORK.  And don't get me started about their tech support dweebs.

So you have to ask your tech folks to look in IIS to see if the page is set as a "file path" or "URL".  If they can override it, have them do so.  If they cannot, consider another host.  This mod is too easy to implement and the hosting environment should not get in the way of it working.

Edited by Greg Dinger - 13-May-2009 at 9:27am
BYRSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BYRSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 10:11am
I am able to change it from a file to a url in the toolbar, so I put a custom 404 error page in products/pc/404-custom.asp and it works, so the url function for the error page is working.  Here is what the loop error looks like according to what IIS7 is calling for:

Here are the headers showing that the redirects are going on and on when the file 404.asp is not found itself!! http://blumaxtools.com/products/pc/404.asp GET /products/pc/404.asp HTTP/1.1 --> HTTP/1.x 302 Redirect Cache-Control: private Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Location: http://blumaxtools.com/products/pc/404.asp Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.0 http://blumaxtools.com/products/pc/404.asp --> GET /products/pc/404.asp HTTP/1.1 Host: blumaxtools.com User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032711 Ubuntu/8.10 (intrepid) Firefox/3.0.8

It looks like the 404.asp is not forwarding to 404b.asp for some reason.  There have not been any changes to the 404.asp page.  It just does not make sense.
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 10:31am
If 404.asp is the custom error handler, there are by definition no scenarios in which the file is not found. 404.asp will always be found as it is the page used as the "404 Page Not Found" error handler. It will always be invoked when a page is not found.

404.asp then performs a server transfer to 404b.asp when the "not found" page is determined not to be a category page, content page, or product page.

The only scenario in which we can see a loop happen is if you entered 404.asp as the "Page Not Found" file in 404b.asp. In that case 404b.asp would redirect to 404.asp and create a loop.

404b.asp must instead contain the name of the file that is shown when the "not found" page is not a category page, content page, or product page. For example, something like: "/page_not_found.html"

So review 404b.asp and make sure that it has been configured properly.

Edited by earlyimp - 13-May-2009 at 10:34am
The ProductCart Team

BYRSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BYRSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 11:27am
Somehow it is the 404b.asp.  I did change the 404b.asp to go to Server.Transfer("/404-custom.asp") but it stays in the loop.  I made sure the page was found on the server by physically checking the link.  When I changed the path on the 404b.asp to Server.Transfer("/pc/404-custom.asp")  I received a 500 error code when trying to go to the products. This tells me somehow it has to be the 404b.asp, but I just don't know how?
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 12:12pm
The only explanation for an error in that case is that it is performing a server transfer to a file that cannot be found. For example, if you do

Server.Transfer("/404-custom.asp")

... this assumes that "404-custom.asp" is in the root of the Web site. Not in the "pc" folder.

We recommend that you do the following:
(a) Create a simple HTML page. It can even be a completely empty file without any HTML code at all and just one line of text that says "Page Not Found".
(b) Call it "page_not_found.html" and place it in the root of the Web site, regardless of where the ProductCart-powered store is located in the web site directory tree.
(c) Then make sure that 404b.asp reads "/page_not_found.html".
The ProductCart Team

BYRSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BYRSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 12:48pm
I put it in just as you said and it's the same thing.  Below is the link to page_not_found.html and to the viewcategories page which if you click on a category, it goes into the loop.

http://www.blumaxtools.com/page_not_found.html

http://www.blumaxtools.com/products/pc/viewcategories.asp
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 12:54pm
It sounds like it's redirecting to 404.asp, not executing 404.asp. There is a big difference between the two, as shown above in our screen shot at the beginning of this thread and as mentioned by Greg Dinger above.
The ProductCart Team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic