ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mobile Optimized Shopping Cart for cell phone user
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mobile Optimized Shopping Cart for cell phone user

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roknrod12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mobile Optimized Shopping Cart for cell phone user
    Posted: 03-August-2009 at 5:52pm
A lot of retailers are now creating optimized versions of their shopping carts for cell phone users. Does anyone know if this can be done with ProductCart using an add-on or is this something completely out of the scope of PC? Or are the developers incorporating this into v4?
roknrod12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roknrod12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2009 at 11:06am
Wow! No responses. Is this completely unfamiliar territory for everyone else, too?!
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2009 at 11:18am
Among my client base, there has been no requests for this.  And from what I have seen of V4, such is not being contemplated.  There are clearly higher priorities.

roknrod12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roknrod12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2009 at 11:23am
Thanks for the response, Greg. Does this sound like something doable with ProductCart? Would it sound like something that you could tackle, or would be interested in? Possibility of discussing to get a quote? thx -rh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2009 at 11:27am

Give me a call to discuss.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2009 at 11:40am
Hi rockinrod12,

I've developed an app for this based on accessing the site via a .mobi extension. Essentially it dynamically strips pages down to their most basic markup for small cell phone browsers (that is, not for smart phones such as iPhones & Blackberries which have much better graphic browsers).

It would definitely need some testing and probably some tweaking for PC specifically, but it's essentially compatible with any site/application.

PM me if you are interested.
roknrod12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roknrod12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2009 at 12:50pm
Here are a couple of examples of what we're looking for:

m.sweetwater.com
m.musiciansfriend.com

These will give you more of an idea of what we're wanting to do. Let me know if that's of interest.

Thanks -rh
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2009 at 8:01pm
Hi rh,

The approach I mentioned earlier is too "down and dirty" compared with this, though I noticed that both of these degrade once the user hits checkout. The one we did was really just for these little Internet enabled cell phones; what you are looking for is more a graphically based browser with a very small view port, and all of the essential functionality that ProductCart offers.

In broad strokes, this looks to me like a very significant rewrite of ProductCart for this specific functionality. I'm interested to see what Greg's take is.

At the moment, we wouldn't have time to take this on in the foreseeable future given current queue. Seems to me that this would make a fabulous add-on for PC, though. Just would be a lot of work.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2009 at 8:52pm
My take (gulp) is that it will be fairly easy to knock out the mobile versions of viewcategories.asp and viewprd.asp, although I'm sure there will still be some challenges to be met. The easy part ends the moment one hits viewcart.asp and on into the checkout process.  It's going to require some serious research and testing for whoever is invited to play a role in this.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2009 at 9:03pm
Yeah, and somewhat the product pages too (lots of potential layout and functionality tweaks there) . . . but onto your point, Greg, I did find it interesting (telling?) that the two examples rh referenced here both start to lose it at the checkout funnel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic