ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing date/timezone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing date/timezone
    Posted: 04-August-2010 at 10:01pm
We are hosting ProductCart in the USA, however because we are an Australian based store, the date on orders placed is normally out by a day. Is there anyway to change the timezone so that it is based on Australian time, not the server time?

Thanks
john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2010 at 4:53pm
I would be interested in this one as well.  I asked a similar question a year or so ago and did not find a solution.  I have no idea if this is a change to product cart or maybe my hosting company is the one to solve this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JohnConfused
katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2010 at 5:24pm
Same issue here.  Would love to have a way of adjusting this in the backend.
Katharina
www.GermanPlaza.com
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2010 at 8:31pm
I see this as potentially a very large effort.  We have developed for a couple clients the ability to issue HTML formatted e-mails from their stores.  Our mod covers 90%+ of the e-mails that a store might send.  This mod required alteration of almost 50 scripts in the application.

I just popped around a few of those e-mails and note that many have the date in them. 

Everyone in this thread has been a bit general in their request, and one can only speculate as to what you are hoping might be the outcome of such a mod.  I would invite all of you to be a bit more specific in declaring just where you wouild wish to see the time zone change to take effect.

If you are hoping that each e-mail produced by the system would contain your local date, for example lcameron's Australian date, you are looking at a comparable number of changed (or at least carefully reviewed) scripts - somewhere ranging up to around 50.  The problem being that it's not like the order date is set at some central point, and then that date is used for all communications.  The application is using the server timestamp when originating a lot of this stuff (example being shippped date) so everywhere a date is being initialized, you need to go and apply an override.  This task could grow legs very quickly.

To provide a mechanism for you to change the local setting for your store adds a couple more files to be changed.  Were you to hope that each customer could individually set their own local time zone, now you add a few more files.   

As you can see, if this were to be done as I am interpreting the request, this is a potentially huge effort. Could you folks be more specific about what you are  hoping to see from such a change?
katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2010 at 9:12pm
All I'm looking for is having the correct date and time for my location, which would be Pacific time, and not Greenwich time.  I have seen lots of applications where you can set your zone and it adjusts everything from there.  I understand that this takes tons of files to be modified, yet I feel that this should be an intricate part of PC.  We truly hate that is doesn't do it, yet we are not willing to spend money on another mod which makes upgrading to future versions a nightmare.
Katharina
www.GermanPlaza.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2010 at 9:22pm
Hi Katharina - then in your case, my statement stands.  You are making a general statement that you want the dates to be generally correct for your time zone.  That means that every place in the system that a date is stored in the database, or that it appears in an e-mail, the code needs to be examined and potentially altered.  Huge effort.

EI, please correct if you disagree.
katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2010 at 9:27pm
It needs to be everywhere, not just emails, but also the backend so we can tell exactly when an order came in with our local time zone.  It's important for our daily cutoff time for UPS or Postal shipping.  That also need to apply to the delivery date you can pick.   Perhaps EI can incorporate this in the next big version.
Katharina
www.GermanPlaza.com
lcameron View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2010 at 9:27pm
Thanks for the info Greg.

For our store, the main issue is the date recorded when when an order is placed is incorrect. We are an Australian based store, yet because the server is US based, depending what time of day the order is placed the date ordered can show as the previous day. Eg. last week, an order was placed on the Friday but that date shown is the Thursday.

This has been causing confusion for some admin staff with reporting and also processing orders.

If it's not something I can fix myself, I would hope, like Katharina, that this might become part of an upgrade as I know my customers also won't want to pay for another modification.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2010 at 9:39pm
I can only see this as being practical to do if EI can be convinced (through user demand) to place this on a high priority list of enhancements.  Trying to do this as a mod, then carrying it forward from release to release, would be a lot of work.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2010 at 9:40pm
Kaatharina - I  understand.  That was my point exactly.  It has to be system-wide, or it is not useful - and thus the rub.  Having done this HTML e-mail mod, and worked in as much of the cart as we  have, I know just how to do this, and the effort would be significant.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic